Monday 18 January 2010

Finding A Sponsor...Impossible? Improbable? Or Inevitable?


"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, they soon become inevitable".
-Christopher Reeve


- If Superman says something then it must be right! :)

I would firstly like to give a mention to my friend Tigz who is the creator of the above image which I've used, taken from her book 'The Doll Who Wanted To Live' (in which I modelled-Thanks Tigz!)

Tigz is a freelance illustrator and all round artistic genius who was recently featured in the winter edition of 'Illustration Magazine' which is sold in the Tate Modern/Britain!
She's doing really well for herself and is a pleasure to model for!
I hope 2010 brings great things for her- you can check out her blog http://www.tigzart.blogspot.com/ and website http://www.tigzrice.com/ go check out her shop- you may even find prints of me in there somewhere! :)


'The Doll Who Wanted To Live' is a picture book about a doll who being uncontent with living her life trapped inside a box with strings holding her in place, cuts through the strings herself and escapes....




Sometimes I think people- including myself sometimes- are too quick to think that something is beyond reach or impossible. Everything's possible, and when I think about it- no one has ever told me something isn't possible other than myself. We all give ourselves limitations or make excuses for no reason! This year I have made it my challenge to make anything that at first seems impossible: improbable and then eventually inevitable! Good set of rules to live by I think....Thanks Superman!

Since I got accepted by NYCDA and started this blog, I've had lots of people message me in regards to acting courses or change in their careers.

I'm extremely flattered that people are coming to me with their questions but by no means am I an expert! All I can say is- I think we should all be like the doll who wanted to live- cut through those metaphorical strings and break free from the box...could be scary at first...could also be pretty fun!

One question that lots of people ask is do you think I'm too old to start acting classes-I don't think you're ever too old to do anything, if you aim high and work hard then you'll never be disappointed and one day the impossible will become the inevitable :)

One thing at the moment that I think is taking a long time in becoming inevitable is the fundraising for my course. I am still looking for sponsors and would very much appreciate any help that anyone can offer me with this.

To get me over to New York for my first year including accomodation/fees/books etc. I need approx. £30,000....

Eeek! A lot of money I know!

Now to make it clear I'm not asking for someone to write me a cheque for this amount (although if you would like to, please make cheques payable to Miss EEA Marshall...haha!)

Maybe you know someone, who would be interested in sponsoring me, or you know of any organisations that give grants for this kind of thing- I've researched this a lot but who knows there may be one that I haven't contacted already.

Any help with this would mean a lot as I am rapidly running out of time- I have roughly seven months before I am due to start and really don't want to give up on such an amazing opportunity just because of money!


In terms of finding other ways to raise money for my course, a few people have been in touch with ideas- which has been very much appreciated, thank you!

So far it looks like the most popular thing suggested is if I hold some kind of event/party, everyone pays a set entry fee, get some live bands/DJ's and we all have a fun evening...I benefit...you benefit...its a win-win situation!!

But I definatly need a show of hands so I can get an idea of numbers-to organise venue etc.

So Question 1: Who's up for the event being in London?

Question 2: Bands/live acts- does anyone want to perform/play at my event? Or do you know of anyone who would want to use this as a place to showcase their talent/get performance experience?
(I'm sure we could organise your set to be filmed so you could use it on your/your bands website- let me know if interested!)

I would greatly appreciate everyone's help with this one!
As always thanks for reading,
Much Love,
Emily

1 comment:

  1. Aww thanks hun for writing about my work! Yes to London, yes to party, and yes to maybe knowing some bands that might come and play... will emails you xx

    ReplyDelete