Thursday 7 January 2010

New Year, New Challenges, Same Dream.....

"Within each of us is a hidden store of energy. Energy we can release to compete in the marathon of life.
Within each of us is a hidden store of courage.
Courage to give us the strength to face any challenge.
Within each of us is a hidden store of determination to keep us in the race when all seems lost".

-Roger Dawson






Happy New Year!
I hope everyone enjoyed the festive period!

So it's the beginning of a new year AND a new decade.
It doesn't feel like it was all that long ago that the year 2000 was upon us and we all thought we were going to be got at by the Millenium bug....but so far, so good...!
For some reason the beginning of this year has got me thinking more than most.
I'm not normally one for new year's resolutions.
Lets be honest they normally last for about the first couple of weeks or so, and we often try to make so many that we only make ourselves feel bad when we break them!

So this year, for me, it's all about challenges rather than resolutions.
Number One: Stretch myself further than I think I can go and try to achieve my goals, no matter how big or small.

Number Two: Believe in myself more- which I find increasingly hard to do.
Number Three: Never doubt, and NEVER let the inner pessimist out.
Number Four: UPDATE THE BLOG MORE OFTEN!!!! haha!

As it's the start of a new year (a time for honesty etc. etc.) I thought I'd let you into a little secret:
I almost didn't go to the New York audition last year.
I got the invite two weeks before the audition date.
Naturally I was really excited and scared.
I prepared my audition pieces.
Turned up on the day and.....couldn't go in.
Now I don't normally get nervous, and if I do then I'm pretty good at hiding it but this audition wasn't just an audition, it was more than that.
I'd been going to auditions for a good while- since I left college at 18, so almost 5 years.
I'd had a few good and fairly well paid acting/television/modelling jobs but they were few and far between.
I've also been to more rubbish castings than anyone I know!
I've been asked to do the most ridiculous things before (my friends love listening to my cringe-worthy-audition-horror-stories one involving Jeremy Edwards (Holby City/Rachel Stevens' ex)....seriously cringe-worthy!)
I was starting to think that my 'acting career' was all but a joke and for the first (and only) time I considered packing it all in and starting a serious career in fashion.

So when I got called to audition for the NYCDA, I jumped at the chance but also saw it as my make or break.
I thought I'd just go along and try to get some feedback on where I was going wrong or how to improve my technique from the people who know the acting industry better than anyone.

It was the hidden energy, courage and determination that came out that day, that got me through those doors, into the audition room and eventually gained me a place at one of the best Acting school's in the world. :)

But the challenge has really only just begun:
At the end of March I will have to go through the whole process again to try and get a place on the same course for this year as I was unable to raise enough funds to go in August 2009.
I really hope that inner energy, courage and determination come out again!

I'm finding it increasingly difficult trying to get any kind of financial help from any of the organisations/individuals that I have written to so far.
It has felt like the hardest part of the process has been trying to get the money when really it should've been getting into the school!

So any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated- if anyone knows of any organisations or people that may be willing to help me then please get in touch!

As always I would like to thank everyone for their support and I'm actually astounded at the amount of positive messages and feedback that I receive in regards to my blog- I apologise if I sometimes take a while to get back to everyone, I actually have more time on my hands at the moment so no excuses now!

On a final note:
Each year, each month and each day bring with it new challenges.
Some of us feel more challenged than most at times.
Always believe, always hope and never lose determination.
I wish everyone a very happy, healthy and fulfilled 2010!

P.S. Apparently this week in the UK we've had the most snow/worst winter weather for like 30 years! I've been lucky because I already had time off work booked, but I know lots of people haven't been able to make it in to work so everyone's been enjoying their snow days!! :)

Here's what I've been doing with mine (besides updating my blog!)






Thanks for reading! :)

Much Love,

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment